Pages

Monday, July 11, 2011

God's Hand

I felt God's hand today in a special moment I had with my Isabelle tonight.

Izzy was very upset about swimming lessons in the morning. She has developed a major fear of going in the deep end that comes back strong each summer as we begin swim lessons. Tonight she was especially upset. A few days ago she asked her Dad for a blessing to help her not be so scared (That was another special moment.) She was very comforted, went to her first few lessons and loved it but today they started moving towards the deep end...

Izzy was a little defiant and onery tonight for which I couldn't figure out why. As I was tucking her into bed, she kept begging me to stay and sleep with her because she "couldn't sleep", for which I kept telling her "No" and gave her ideas to help her fall asleep. Just as I was about to leave the room for the third time, she called me back. At first I got a little annoyed and upset, and then she broke down crying saying how scared she was of swimming, and the nightmares she has been having. Then it all made sense. I quickly regrouped realizing what had caused the sudden change in attitude. I reminded her of the good teachers she has, who are there just to make sure she is safe. I reminded her of the blessing she was given, and that she can always say a little prayer, to which she cried, "The blessing's not working!!!"

Feeling a little helpless at this point, wishing I could take the fear away, and wondering if making her do swimming lessons was worth it I suddenly felt prompted to pray together with Izzy. It took a moment to help her understand that it was what she needed and to calm her down enough to listen. We closed our eyes ready to pray, her laying in in the top bunk bed, me standing beside it.

As I began to pray I felt a beautiful feeling of comfort and peace. I prayed for many things, but especially that she would be comforted and feel peace and learn to trust in her teachers, herself and in God. I prayed that she would know that her mom, her dad, Gracie, and Saley and especially Heavenly Father all love her very much. I ended the prayer and we opened our eyes. She looked at me and slightly grinned as I put my hand on her head and caressed her hair. I smiled back as she held my hand tightly to her head. Within less than a minute she was asleep. Asleep with that beautiful sound of deep, peaceful breathing. And I was watching.... with the peaceful reassurance that she will be OK, reminded of how much I love my sweet Princess Isabelle... and how much I love watching my babies sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment